As promised here are the JPEG progress shots to "The Pilgimage" image. Initially the image started out as just a desert scene with some varied hard surface looking rock formations.
I felt things were a little too cluttered so I expanded out the canvas and gave some breathing room to the image. I also threw in some angular "pyramid looking" structures in the background to contrast from the organic shapes of the environment. At this point though, the image was getting stagnant. I wasn't feeling that umf. What makes this landscape special? Where's the story?
This image came very close to getting scrapped but I decided to persevere through it and scribbled in these big camel looking robots with a caravan of people traveling to the pyramids. That sparked new life in the painting and I got excited again. Never be afraid to just toss things on a new layer and mess with your image, even if it's a crazy idea. The worst that can happen is you just simply delete the layer. No harm no foul.
I started refining out the design of the robot camels, exaggerating their size further. I really wanted these things to feel big.At this point I encountered another issue. There was so much that needed to be done. multiple figures had to be rendered, they all needed to be unique. I didn't want simple copy and paste iterations. The overall composition felt like it was weighted heavy to the left, there was too much negative space to the right of the image. I almost felt overwhelmed and I just kind of froze. I wasn't really sure which issue I should tackle first and how that would change the image.
I took a step back and remembered some very useful words from Iain McCaig, "Murder your darlings". There were a lot of things in the image that I liked however I just decided to tweak things that would better serve the image. I threw in a big rock formation which gave just enough focus to the right side of the canvas but not enough to detract from the main focal points. I eliminated the four figures in the foreground and brought in smaller figures to reinforce both perspective in the image and firmly establish the scale. I was happy with the decision and now it came down the point of finishing touches.
I finally got to the point where I needed to give the image that extra 10%. All of the hard work is done. I tossed in some dead vegetation, added varying hues to the travelers clothes, made some minor tweaks to the Robo Camels design, and further sculpting of the rock formations. And viola! Hope you guys got something out of this and enjoyed seeing the process to this image. Talk to you guys again soon.
Here's the new spot for my blog. I'll be posting sketches, tutorials, random thoughts and the like. Thanks for dropping by.